Raksha Bandhan,is a Hindu festival to pay homage to the sacred and unconditional bond between brothers and sisters and close friends. It's and ancient Vedic festival which is celebrated every year on the full moon day of the month of Shravan ( August) Rakshan Bandhan 2013 will be celebrated with zest and vigour on August 21.
The gesture to pay respect to this homage is to tie a rakri (red or golden thread around the wrists of each other) to show great appreciation and protection for each other in this world we are part of together. This is one of my favourite Hindu festivals. Sweets and gifts are exchanged too. So.........Happy Rakshan Bandhan to you all and dont forget to watch out for the magic in the sky to tomorrow evening!
Heres a quick recipe for Barfi for you to make and share around your friends and family this Rakshan Bandhdan
Easier enough for the kids to try it too.
125g Full cream Powered milk
250 Caster sugar or add less
5 Green Cardamoms pods - seeds crushed
12 pistachio nuts shelled and chopped( unsalted)
Butter for greasing
Sallow dish or baking tin lined with grease proof paper
Knife and chopping board
- Place the sugar and water into the pan. Boil and then allow to simmer for 6-7 minutes, until the mixture turns into a sticky syrup
- Add the powered milk, crushed cardamoms. pistachio nuts and mix well
- Pour this mixture into the dish and leave to cool pistachio flakes on top
- When the barfi has set cut into diamond shapes pieces
Tip: Try adding a drop of rose water for a subtle fragrance, or desiccated coconut to the mixture before setting it. Or you could be very indulgent and cover the top with melted chocolate
- Rose water has a very distinctive flavour and is used heavily in Persian cuisine.
- The coconut has a number of culinary uses. The seed provides oil for frying, cooking. The white, fleshy part of the seed, the coconut meat, is used fresh or dried in cooking, especially in confections and desserts. Desiccated coconut or coconut milk made from it is frequently added to curries and other savoury dishes.
- Caco trees can live to be 200 years old, but they produce marketable cocoa beans for only 25 years!
Barfi origin - India